Monday, October 27, 2014
Oh wait. That's not the album cover. That's me playing around on Taylor's website.
Here it is...
It's been a long time since I've been really excited about an album. I totally needed this. When I heard that Taylor Swift was writing a new album that was to be reminiscent of my favorite era, I can't front. I was intrigued. Her lyrics sung over some music that reminds me of Judd Nelson in flannel, feathered hair and a trenchcoat ? Oh I'm here for it (side note: Why did the internet try to kill him the other day? I can't stand people sometimes). Anything that reminds me of a John Hughes movie is pretty much gonna get a yes from me and this record gets all of the yesses.
Here are five of my favorites (besides "Shake It Off" AKA "Mickey 2014" which I vote to be our new National Anthem) off of the deluxe version of the album found only at Target:
1. "Welcome to New York"- "Welcome to New York" reminds me of how I probably would have felt about NYC had I been a young adult in 1989. It's bitter sweet because since I have moved back to the east coast and have visited NYC, I have been so sad of how much it's changed! God, what have they done to The Village?! *Sigh* Still, this song reminds me of the big dreams I used to have of living there when I was a kid in, well, 1989.
3. "Out of the Woods"- I was afraid I'd be tired of this song because the chorus is so repetitious but daggonit if I haven't caught myself singing it at work, church, Wawa... I can't help it. It's so so good!
4. "This Love"- Is it just me or is this record giving us Amy Grant's House of Love vibes? I'm just saying! If you think about the time that record came out along with the fact that a lot of people weren't happy about the fact she moved from CCM to Pop, the parallels are pretty interesting. This is giving me House of Love for sure. I love this record.
And now for the song that I feel personally emotionally victimized by...
5. "You R In Love"
Knots. KNOTS I SAY!!!!
I don't care how you feel about Taylor Swift. If you feel ANY way about love, get thee to this song! The only gripe I have with this album is that this song is not included on the iTunes version. That is a sin and a shame. It's easily the best song of the project and the entire record is pretty solid. I had to make myself not listen to it anymore. Every last one of the feels. Every last one!
What do you all think about the album and what are your faves?
Saturday, October 25, 2014
I know it's been a long time since either of us have written anything. Here are some random musings and cryptic things that I just have to get out of my system.
1. I'm insanely bored. I spoke to a mentor of mine recently who told me that it is a dangerous thing for me to be bored. She's right. My mind defaults to certain anxieties and I become an obsessive daydreamer. If I am going to survive, I have to constantly be inspired and nurture my creativity- go into the city, look at art, meet driven people, etc. Like I have to manage this like it's my job; like it's Type 2 diabetes. It's that crucial. I am so used to working on at least three things at a time so this downtime is just not the business. I have to allow myself to be creative again. I also need to express myself more which means I should be writing more. It's just...this year has really had me in my feelings for real. There's a lot in my head that I'm not sure if I'm ready to let out onto this blog yet or anywhere else.
Being an extrovert can be hell sometimes. Reason being, there are times where I want to be alone and I absolutely shouldn't be. For instance I am right now penning this post from my what used to be my favorite diner in Philly before I moved to Nashville. I know I need to save money but I just have to be around people and noise right now to even think. To breathe! Silence can be really loud sometimes. I don't even think I would be writing this if I was at home. I'd be asleep.
2. Speaking of this diner, I am eating out of a bowl of fries too large for anyone to eat by themselves. Eh well. *Adds salt*
After 8 months, I am finally ready to be all here. To get to know where I live and to thrive. I no longer have one half of me in Nashville and the other half here. I miss Nashville but I was feeling really claustrophobic. I feel good about being here even though I haven't really made any friends yet. That'll come...as soon as I start following up with people and stop spending my weekends talking to my friends back in Nashville all night. There will never be anyone as awesome as them.
3. Pray for Tia please.
4. I just noticed that this diner has new (to me) T-shirts that say "Everything old is new again." You ain't never lied.
5. I was dealing very heavily with regret about some things but something has occurred to me that has lessened the blow of 20/20 vision: the things you regret not doing a lot of times you just weren't mentally ready to handle at the time anyway. Be it a career opportunity or a person that you later realize means more to you than you ever really wanted to admit to yourself. You weren't wrong; you just weren't ready. I would say more but too many people know about this blog so moving on...
6. Taylor Swift's 1989 is about to come out and murder the game. Be mad. I'm here for it.
7. I better not eat all of these fries.
8. The fact that we have created an environment where Bobby Shmurda's "Hot N----" can be a hit is a shame to our ancestors, ourselves, our children and future generations. What in the hell happened to common sense?
9. How's this for a bad pickup line: a MARRIED man said to me "What's your name, beautiful?" I was working so I had to answer him although he was holding my hand SO grossly . "My name is Toya." He said, "My name is...Speechless." Okay pal. What is wrong with people?
10. I've been spending some time with my 10 year old cousin which I am almost positive is giving my mother hope that I may eventually want a child. I'll be honest: I'm open to adoption after a good four years of marriage. Cause isn't true religion "taking care of the widows and orphans"? See I don't hate religion. I just hate what we've made it to be.
11. This cute guy just sat next to me and my date. And by my date I mean this big bowl of fries. Check please.