It's been a really long time since I've done one of these things. If I would just shut my laptop at this Starbucks and read then I probably wouldn't be prompted to do this. But since I can't manage to get off of The Internets, let me post some of my random thoughts.
1. Are there any other writers out there that have to always listen to something specific when they write? I write for a few other blogs besides this one and I almost always have to turn on www.neosoulcafe.com. It's my absolute favorite thing to listen to when I am working. I've found out about a lot of artists that I have come to love through this station like Reel People, 4 Hero, Zo, Daley, Sy Smith, Aya and most recently, Mar. Check it out if you need some smooth vibes to listen to if you want to lounge or just work. I seriously don't know how I'd still be into any new music if not for the internet.
2. I need people to stop using the word "bitch" like it's a pronoun. Seriously. It's bad enough that people have been brainwashed to think that they can take the N-word and make it into something magically delicious. Now we have people thinking that "bitch" is not only a term of endearment but up for discussion as if it should be considered derogatory in the first place. What happened to common sense?
I remember when I was watching a video on Youtube of the guys who did "Teach Me How to Dougie". They were, well, teaching people how to Dougie when I noticed that what was playing was unedited. The original goes "Teach me to Dougie, you know why? Cause all the bitches love me."
Wait. What? What and WHY?
*Sigh* I can't tell you how fast I wanted someone to UNteach me how to Dougie but by then it was too late. Celine Dion could come on right now in this Starbucks and I would slick go into a covert Dougie. Crazy and downright unfortunate.Anyway, if you haven't seen this video by the uber-talented Lupe Fiasco, please do. He explains how I feel about this topic better than I ever could.
3. Tonight is my friend's bachelorette party (Side note: Why won't my spell check recognize the word "bachelorette"? What is really going on here?) Umm...it's at a pole dancing studio. Yeeeaaaah more on that later. And I keep wanting to look this place up online but there are people around me. Awkward!
4. Am I really the only one who absosmurfly loved Frank Ocean's performance of "Thinking About Forever" on the VMA's? I keep hearing people say that he was off and pitchy. It's the only thing he's done that I've ever liked. Eh well.
.5. Some of y'all probably think that I have completely dropped the ball on reviewing the last chapter of Quitter. Tia finished her review decades ago. I've been sitting on the last chapter. It's hard to read a book like that and not feel like you need to make some decisions about your life. In the bible when David wrote a Psalm, he would write the word "Selah" meaning to pause and reflect. Well with Quitter, there needs to be a word for "Take that and rewind it back." I've been "selahing" on this book for a really long time. Reason being, I started the book thinking that I wanted to be a Quitter and do one thing and by the end of the book decided I wanted to be something else. I almost feel like I need to read the book all over again!
6. Lord willing I will be 38 in December. Thirty...eight. *Blank stare* I've found a few more wrinkles but no gray hair so far. Somebody give the Lord a hand praise.
7. This time last year there were a ton of divorces. This year there have been a ton of weddings. I think that's great. It's easy to get discouraged when you see so many people breaking up. My parents just celebrated their 42nd wedding anniversary. They've been together for 46 years. When my mom was my age, she as married for 18 years with a fourteen and an eight year old. Child, if I didn't think that these people in Starbucks would call the law, I would Holy Ghost shout all over this place. I am not about that life! However the life that I am about? I need to keep making moves towards that. Quickly.
8. There are two guys that I have
9. There is not one Starbucks that I've ever been in that did not have a fly problem in the summertime. Not a one.
10. This week I had my first Diet Coke in five months. I gave them up cold turkey because they really are awful for you. I had a can a day habit. You know you have a habit where you feel awful after you drink a Diet Coke but you keep drinking it because you really feel awful when you try to give it up. Well this week was a really difficult week for me and I was constantly trying to hold it together (more on that at a later time). I was on the edge of crying or snapping or both every day. Well, the last straw was an incident I had in traffic where my car wasn't accelerating like it should (adding to the stress) and the woman behind me was doing some...gesturing. I put on my hazards and motioned her to go around me. There were no cars coming. Instead she decided to stay behind me and throw up gang signs or whatever. I don't know what she was doing but it wasn't nice.
Now I was already on my way to Burger King for a veggie burger (if it weren't for their veggie burgers I would have long forgotten that Burger King even exist anymore) and I knew I needed to make a decision. Pull over and get some caffeine to take the edge off, which could totally be a psychosomatic reaction, or park my car in traffic as we approach the light, get out, blackout, and find myself behind bars when I came to. Hey you can take the girl out of Jersey but you cannot take the Jersey out of the girl. I decided to get over to the turning lane in order to not make any eye contact even though it would force me to take the longer way to Burger King (Rather a longer way to Burger King than a short way to jail). I pulled up to the window and said "I'd like a veggie burger, no mayo with a Coke, a Diet Coke, A Diet Cherry Coke."
I regret nothing.