I realized this morning that I always remember that it is Donnie Wahlberg's birthday because he and my dad share the same birthday. This is why we have never shouted out the rest of NKOTB's birthdays. The fact that I even remember that Jordan and Danny's birthdays are both in May prove that once a Blockhead, always a Blockhead. That also proves why I had to go to summer school for Geometry and Biology. Evidently I was too focused on other frivolous things. Oh those carefree teenage years.
I remember when New Kids performed on Showtime at the Apollo. I was nervous as all get out. It was the Apollo! Countless people have been booed at the Apollo, some who have gone on to have great and successful careers. But as you can see from the video and the chanting of "Go white boys" by the audience, they quickly won them over. It's been a long time since I've seen this performance. Journey with me as I reflect more than twenty years later.
- I've got $20 that says that at the very least Donnie, Danny, and possibly even Joey tried to hit on Pebbles while they were at the Apollo.
- Jordan Knight was the hottest thing since Al B. Sure when he came out. I remember the first time my cousin and I saw him on screen and we were like "Hold up. WHAT?! Where do they make those at?" That reminds me. Tia and I need to take a trip out to Dorchester this fall. Nothing says love like well dressed, layered, skully cap wearing boys with Boston accents.
- I don't care what anyone says, the 12" mix of this song STILL knocks. Not even up for discussion.
- *Reaches for office first aid kit to locate smelling salts* DEAD at 1:31. "Oh we're lip synching this tonight? Oh y'all know I'm goin' IN during my solo! Trust!"
- When they hit 'em with that Morris Day? Over. Remember when white boys being able to dance was a big deal? And then came the Mickey Mouse Club.*Does the Ryan Gosling body roll*
- Jordan Knight is trying his best to give y'all Ralph Tresvant realness and you will deal! By the way, whatever happened to Jordan's tail? Did he cut it off before eBay took off? He could have made a fortune! Is it in the Locks of Love archives? I'm just wondering here.
- If you are a boy band consisting of at least four members and you do not work this Jackson Five move into your routine somehow, you aint about nothin'. Hang it up and do something else with your time.
- Donnie:Bobby Brown, Danny:Michael Bivins, Jordan:Ralph Tresvant, Jon Knight:Lance Bass.
- Seriously, this is still my jam.