My bucket list - Tia
First and foremost thank everyone so much for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes for my mother. After seeing video footage of the EMTs cutting my mother and her friend from the car, I'm completely convinced that it's nothing short of a miracle that neither of them were killed or more seriously injured.
She's doing okay. However, with so many broken bones and fractures she's got quite a bit of recovery ahead of her. So please continue to pray and send well wishes.
Sitting in the hospital ICU with my mother put a lot of things in perspective for me. I realized that I need to be more mindful about letting go of some of the past hurts that I've let push me away from my mother. And no matter what, she did her best. I've only got one mom and it's up to me what I do with the relationship.
Another thing that I realized is that life is short. You hear it all of the time. But it's not until you're blindsided with mortality that you realize that life truly is a breath away from being over. I know it's kind of macabre but it's been eye opening. The whole situation has made me realize that there are a lot things that I want to do. And for whatever reason, be it financial or otherwise I've haven't been living life like I could have or should have been.
If I'm being honest part of me has been waiting to do stuff WITH someone one. I travel solo for work all of the time. So the idea of traveling solo for pleasure is unappealing to me. And I know myself and know that solo travel is NEVER going to appeal to me. So one of things on my list is to start a group for single folks that just want to travel. Because I'm certain I'm not the only single female who's wanted to go somewhere but doesn't want to go alone.
So I've decided no more excuses. I'm going to start traveling and playing and shooting (I'll explain shortly) to my heart's content. I want to be old and wrinkly on the pouch with my hubby laughing about the time I kissed a complete stranger before I met him of course.
Now, this list is a work in progress. As I think of things I will of course add them. I don't know that I will ever stop adding things but I guess that's the fun of it. So here's what I have so far.
- Kiss a stranger - I know this is weird and kind of gross. But for some reason when I started the list this was one of the first things I thought of. I may need to re-evaluate this one. But for now it stays.
- Learn how to play drums - I have wanted to play the drums since I was very young. And I remember distinctly a conversation I had with my grandmother about why girls didn't play drums. In her defense, the woman never wore pants a day in her life. She was old school. But that conversation came during a formative period in my life. So when it came time to pick instruments in school instead of drums I picked clarinet because the saxophone class was already full. (I hated the clarinet by the way.) So as soon as I have my own space I'm heading over to a used music store and buying a kit.
- Go to driving school/drive the Autobahn - Charlize Theron earned all kinds of respect from me when I learned that during the driving training for The Italian Job she out drove all of the other guys in the movie. The instructor had even initially scheduled extra training for her...because she was a girl. Then she came in and whooped everyone else. So if she can do it, so can I.
And since I'm a nerd, I want to LEARN how to drive fast properly before I actually do it. I don't think it's wise to drive 120 mph on the German Autobahn without at least having some defensive driving training. So I'm going to learn how to drive fast (and maybe do some doughnut and spin outs) and then I'm going to go fast like Ricky Bobby.
- Learn how to fire a gun - I love movies with bada$$ characters with guns. I think the problem with our society is that too many people fancy themselves as bada$$es and think just having a gun makes you one. I'm not going to crap on the constitution and say people shouldn't have guns. But I do think there needs to be more accountability.
Anyway, since it is one of my constitutional rights, I want to learn how to shoot. Now I'm never going to be one of those people walking around with a gun, but I would like to be a chick who can say she can shoot a target at 100 yards with deadly accuracy.
- Travel - Ohhhhh....the lists of places that I want to go gets longer about once a week. I want to go Greece because I just watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. I want to go to Toronto because I was watching a documentary that was shot there and didn't realize how FLY that city really is. I want to go to Brazil because I want to see the Christ the Redeemer statue. I want to go to Spain for the food and the hotties. So basically I want to run my passport ragged.
- Go to Comic Con - YES...I am THAT big of a nerd. Enough said.
That's the list for now. I know it sounds cliche to have a bucket list but ask yourself this, "If I could do anything, would I do it?" If you say yes and you can do it, then you should do it. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I'll keep you posted.