1. I didn't imagine that I'd feel worse today but I do. I was hoping this would be the tail end of my sickness but now I have new symptoms: a tummy ache and the sniffles. Only big babies say tummy ache and sniffles and I am one. One of the last songs I heard before going to bed was Damien Horne's "Sacrifice" where he says "when you're sick and you got the flu, I'll be there taking care of you." I joked that I would like a brotha to come and make that sacrifice but I don't think I'd want any man to see me in this state. After all I still do look like James Brown's mugshot. Leaving me some sushi and soup at my doorstep would be a kind gesture though.
2. I know I am deliriously sick when I wake up singing ridiculously random songs. Saturday I woke up with my face pressed up against the wall singing Carrie by Europe. Yes, Carrie. As in "Caaaarie, Caaaaaarie". The year before I immediately called out sick when I woke up on my back unable to move but was singing "There was something in the air tonight, the stars were bright, Fernandooooooo." But my personal favorite was the year before that when I had a 102 fever and all I could sing over and over was "Her name was Lola, she was a show girl". Yeah, I'm delirious.
3. I will say that this morning I woke up with You've Made Me Glad by Israel and New Breed (shoutout to Lightchild, the newest member of the New Breed). I was glad that was on my mental radio today. Perhaps it was because I prayed harder last night than I have in a really long time. I've been so convicted lately about laziness and complacency. I recently told a friend of mine that I tend to pray a lot because I tend to worry a lot and lately I have worried a lot. I think I was so upset about this past year because there has definitely been some time wasted and I really want to honor God with what I do with my time. My friend Joey spoke at a singles event at a church a while back and shared with me something that made me almost pick my plate up and crack him over the head with it, it was so dead on: he said while single, it is good to remember the scripture "Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up like wings of eagles. They shall run and not be
weary. They shall walk and not faint". That "wait" is to be taken two ways: wait (he then pointed to his watch) and wait (he then motioned his hand backwards as if he was a waiter holding a tray). Go on and let that marinate cause that's a good word right there.
4. It's only when I am sick do I think about all of the things I should be doing with my time like reading several books, building training curriculum for clients, and getting more knowledgeable (sp?) about the bible that I say I believe in. I am taking today off. I'm glad I don't have a tv today because there is a lot I have to catch up on. Maybe I'll be able to get through half of Berry Gordy's biography today. I mean I've only been reading it for a year. Good grief!
5. When I am sick I only want to eat Ritz wheat crackers and applesauce, preferably chunky. I can't get down with the drinking lots of fluids thing especially water. I really can't take the taste of my own mouth right now as it is. I have got to get better though and for God's sake I've GOT to do my hair!