Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Moving Chronicles cont. - Tia

You know that episode of Friends when Phoebe's fire alarm won't stop going off?

Yeah that was me this morning. The fire alarm in my room begin intermittently beeping yesterday for no apparent reason. And then out of nowhere it stopped. I figured it needed a new battery but then I forgot about changing it when it stopped beeping.

This morning it decided to start beeping again at indecipherable intervals. It was (insert sarcasm here) the best noise to wake up to when after not getting a good night's sleep, waking up sore from carrying an entertainment center down two flights of steps and being stressed about moving cross country and starting a new job in less than a week and a half.

I bolt upright out of bed and storm into the living room to get a chair to rip the thing off of the ceiling. As I'm getting down off the chair the alarm again beeps in my hand. Mind you, it's early and I was awakened by the shrill beep of the alarm. So I'm not really all there yet. The wires are hanging out of the ceiling and the alarm so in my mind that should be enough to make it stop beeping. (My mind wasn't working yet or I would have remembered that it's battery operated.) So when the thing beeped in my hand I was really a bit thrown off. After several seconds I remember the battery. I pry the casing off of the back and unplug the battery. I put the alarm on the bedside table, stumble to the bathroom and the thing beeps AGAIN....WITHOUT THE BATTERY IN IT. At this point I think I must be dreaming. I run out of the bathroom grab the alarm and put in on the counter in the living and head back to the restroom. I kid you not, while I'm handling the bathroom business I hear the battery-less alarm beep again through the bathroom door and my bedroom door. I am sleep deprived and PISSED OFF at this point. I storm out of the bathroom walk into the living room and pick up the devil alarm. I frantically look for a place to put. All I want at this point is to go back to sleep and wait for the Advil to kick in on my sore body. I open several drawers and find a partially empty one. I shove the alarm in the back and wait. Several moments go by and I don't hear anything. I figured what ever remaining juice that was stored in the thing is gone and I will finally be able to go to sleep. As I walk back to my bedroom and am closing the door I hear the thing beep one last time in defiance. I crawled back into bed, pulled the covers up over my ears, placed a pillow of my head and vowed to beat the living crap out of the maker of that alarm.

No comments: