"They'll be sad songs to make you cry..." by Toya
I am one weird chick. I freely admit to this. There are certain things about myself that I just dont get. Thankfully, I have found a revelation to one of the biggest questions I have had about myself: why do I have this fascination for 80's Soft Pop?
I mean like AM Gold, soft pop: Toto, Genesis, Ambrosia, Air Supply, James Ingram, Wilson Phillips, Patti Austin, Journey, Chicago, REO Speedwagon, Olivia Newton-John... the list goes on an on. I have wondered about this for years. Now, finally it is all so clear to me whyI like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain:
When I was a little girl, I had a lot of allergy problems and so did my brother. Also, my brother had asthma and I had jacked up teeth, acne and bad eyesight so we STAYED in the doctor's office. Well it was the doctor's office where I just started to fall in love with all of these sappy songs. I vividly remember having to get a shot and hearing "Baby Come to Me". I remember sitting at the allergist and hearing Jack Wagner's "All I Need". Another reason why is that my parents gave me a radio that only had AM on it. I remember sitting by my radio one Sunday afternoon, waiting all day to hear Kenny Loggins' "Heart to Heart". Kids were outside waiting for the ice cream truck and I was in my room listening to Christopher Cross.
I didn't say that finding this out makes me any less weird. I am just saying that now I understand. I wish I could explain the sheer elation and memories when I hear James Taylor's "Her Town" or the joy I feel when I hear "Even the Nights Are Better". I simply can't put it into words. This is why I don't understand people who can't care less about music. Where do you find your joy for crying out loud?
Here are just some of my favorite sappy 80's pop artists and my favorite songs of theirs:
1. Journey-"Who's Crying Now" "Faithfully" "Open Arms" and "Don't Stop Believin'" (Side Note: Steve Perry "Foolish Heart" and "Oh Sherry")
2. Chicago- "Hard Habit to Break" "Look Away" "Will You Still Love Me" (Another Side Note" Peter Cetera "Next Time I Fall In Love" "Glory of Love")
3. Foreigner "I Want to Know What Love Is" and one of my top 10 favorites of all time "Waiting for a Girl Like You"
4. Debarge- "Who's Holding Donna Now" "All This Love" "Love Always"
5. Phil Collins- EVERY DAGGONE SONG
6. Every James Ingram/Patti Austin duet and solo effort
7. Lionel Richie- "Penny Lover" "Love Will Find A Way" "You are the Sun..."
8. Ambrosia"Biggest Part of Me" "You're the Only Woman"-That is MY JAM!!!!
9. Gino Vanelli- "I Just Wanna Stop" "Living Inside Myself"
10. Kool and the Gang "Jo Anna" "Cherish" "Too Hot"
In the immortal words of Elton John, Sad songs they say so much...so turn 'em on!