Thursday, December 4, 2003
It is OFFICIALLY Christmas Time!!!!!!! Yeeeeeaaaahhhh!!!!!
I (Toya) am very excited about this Christmas and I am not quite sure why. I guess part of the reason is that I get to go back home. My dad won't be there this year which is kind of a bummer but all in all, I am looking forward to everything about Christmas. I am REALLY excited.
Christmas season does not officially start until I hear my favorite Christmas song of all time, Donnie Hathaway's "This Christmas", on the radio. Back home, we had the best radio station in the world, 105.3 WDAS FM and they play the best Christmas music. So when I hear that song it always reminds me of home. One year, I didn't even get into the Christmas spirit until December 21st because I didn't hear it on the radio until December 21st. Well last night I was coming home and I heard it and FLIPPED THE HECK OUT!!!! I am so happy!
Everybody and they mama got a Christmas record but these are my absolute favorite Christmas songs and albums:
1) The aforementioned "This Christmas" by Donnie Hathaway
2) "At Christmas Time" Luther Vandross- This joint is HARD to find. I had to umm, get it electronically if you know what I am saying but would gladly pay for it if I could find it. I think he recorded it early in his career maybe even as early as '83 or '84.
3) "Christmas All Over the World", New Edition- Good times all around. Can't front on it. I think New Edition had a Christmas EP and I can't find it to save my life.
4) "Do They Know It's Christmas Time", Band Aid- I love this song and the video. Boy George blew that song out of the water. Put your arms around the world at Christmas time!
5) "Santa Clause, Go Straight to the Ghetto", James Brown- Don't get no realer
6) "Funky, Funky Christmas", New Kids on the Block- This was the jam in high school. I have this record at home and will be spinning it at our Christmas party.
7) The ENTIRE Boyz II Men "Christmas Interpretations" CD- The best CD they have ever made. This CD is great from beginning to end and have often found myself playing it during other times of the year. If "Who would have thought I'd fall in love on Christmas Day" don't move you, you are sure to get coal in your stocking.
8) "Home for Christmas", Nsync- Like the Boyz II Men CD, the best songs they have ever done are on this album, especially harmony wise. "Love's in Our Hearts On Christmas Day" is great and why did JC sing the fool out of their remake of KC and Jo Jo's "In Love On Christmas" . "My grandmomma and my granddaddy..."?
9) "All I Want for Christmas Is You", Mariah Carey- It's cheesy and so am I. It's no secret. This song gives me giggles.
10) And last but certainly not least, the classic of all classic Christmas renditions, The Temptations "Silent Night". The best rendition of this song EVER. I mean it is absolutely the best. It gives me chills everytime I hear it.
So those are my favorites of all times. I guess part of the reason I love this time of year so much is because of all of the great music. I haven't gotten to go shopping yet and that is absolutely my favorite part of Christmas. I sometimes have to go late because I am horrible at keeping my gifts a secret from everybody. I love giving gifts twice as much as I love getting them. I can't wait until our first Christmas party!This Christmas is going to be great!